101 SPEC Kit 361: Outreach and Engagement The project was proposed by the OOHRP head and approved by the associate dean and dean as it expanded over the years. The budget was funded by a combination of foundation grants, endowed professorship funds, and library in-kind. Most of the work was done by two faculty in the OOHRP (the head and another oral historian), with large changes or developments being run past the dean and associate dean. Faculty and staff from Archives and students from Archives and OOHRP helped with a number of the outreach events. Evaluation was done by the OOHRP head. Traditional media, social media, tribal newspapers and announcements, and alumni group communications OOHRP, Archives, and Communications internally. Externally, the Chilocco National Alumni Association. I believe we were the ones approached for this collaboration, so they spoke with us, we didn’t select them. Project is not completely finished at this point, but assessment throughout has been based upon reactions (in writing, social media, other formats) from members of the alumni association and the public. Reactions were solicited regularly throughout the course of the project. Still in progress, but the reaction so far has been positive. Case Study 39 The Personal Librarian outreach program was an email campaign targeted to all incoming first year and transfer students (9950 students). The goal was to raise awareness of library resources, services, and events while also promoting the idea that a “personal” subject librarian was available to each student should they need help. In the first quarter of the academic year, biweekly messages were sent to each student via Constant Contact. The messages would appear to come from that student’s subject librarian, as determined through their declared major at the time of registration (all information was gathered from the Registrar’s Office). During winter and spring quarters, students would receive monthly messages. Each message promoted a timely resource or service that might benefit the student (e.g., how to reserve group study rooms as midterms approached). The program was approved by the department head of education and outreach, and then by the AUL for public services, and then through Leadership Council. The budget was $500 for increased capacity in the existing Constant Contact account. A sub-group of the Department of Education and Outreach worked with the registrar’s office to obtain student email addresses, developed all of the copy for the email messages, communicated with subject librarians, and conducted assessments of the program. A staff assistant in communications developed templates within Constant Contact for the messages and sent the messages from the system. The initiative itself was advertising. After the program began, it was promoted to faculty and community members through the university librarian’s newsletters and involvement in campus committees Department of E&O collaborated with Communications. We also made a request to the Registrar’s office through an “ad hoc data request” form, but this is not exactly “collaboration.” Constant Contact allowed us to track email opens, click throughs, and unsubscribes. In addition, we sent a five-question survey to all students in the program, inquiring about whether the program was helpful, what services they learned about through the program, who their personal librarian was, the frequency of messaging, and other feedback. Constant Contact reports indicated a 60+% open rate and 30% click through rate, which is higher than any other email campaign our library has conducted. We saw a higher rate of attendance at library
Previous Page Next Page