163 SPEC Kit 356: Diversity and Inclusion
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA LIBRARIES
Instruction and Outreach Librarian
The Foundation for The Gator Nation
An Equal Opportunity Institution
1. Coordinates the Library West undergraduate instruction and information literacy program, including
creating and updating instructional materials, videos, course guides, and tutorials using a variety of
formats including print, digital, and web-based technologies such as LibGuides and social media.
2. Liaises with the University Writing Program (UWP), Innovation Academy (IA), the Honors Program,
and the Dean of Students Office (DSO). Regularly communicates and meets with the departments’
staff and faculty; provides specialized assistance to faculty and students. Builds and strengthens
established relationships with groups on campus.
3. Actively pursues new humanities and social sciences outreach opportunities on campus; cultivates new
constituencies and identifies new services.
4. Co-chairs the Smathers Libraries Instruction Committee and leads instruction and outreach strategies
to promote and support library programs, services, and collections. Coordinates H&SS instruction
programs with other libraries on campus.
5. Teaches sections of Introduction to Library and Internet Research (LIS2001). Leads the Libraries
Instruction Committee in development of new content for LIS2001, supports other LIS instructors, and
helps promote and market the course.
6. Provides reference services at the Research Assistance Desk, online via chat and email, and by
7. Defines goals, establishes objectives, plans and manages budgets, and coordinates collection
development activities with other subject specialists and librarians.
8. Participates in appropriate professional development and continuing education endeavors and engages
in scholarly research resulting in publication, including digital humanities projects.
9. Participates in planning, policy formation, and department decision-making relating to Library West
services, collections, and new technologies.
10. Represents the Libraries in appropriate university, local, state, regional, and national bodies.
11. Participates in Library fundraising efforts.
Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or
equivalent professional experience, plus advanced degree in subject specialty.
Eight years of relevant, post graduate degree experience for appointment at the Associate University
Experience with in person and online instruction.
Competence with information technologies and demonstrated effectiveness in integrating technology
with traditional services and resources, particularly instruction.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills.
Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team within a culturally diverse
user community of faculty, students, staff, administrators, and the general public.
Capacity to thrive in a dynamic environment, respond effectively to shifting needs and priorities of
library constituents, and afford a willingness to be flexible with liaison and selector assignments as
Flexible and forward-thinking approach to challenges and opportunities.
Strong potential for meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion outlined at
Advanced degree in a related field in the humanities and/or social sciences, or in curricular design.
Experience providing instructional services and outreach in an academic or research library