129 SPEC Kit 356: Diversity and Inclusion
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
LSU Libraries Advisory Committee On Diversity
LSU Libraries Advisory Committee On Diversity August 9, 2016
The LSU Libraries Advisory Committee on Diversity is appointed by the Dean of the Libraries, is
composed of library employees committed to the goals of diversity. Its main purposes are 1) to
foster a positive attitude toward diversity and inclusion within the LSU Libraries; 2) to assist
search committees in the recruitment of a diverse pool of candidates for positions at the
Libraries; and 3) to establish and maintain a welcoming and respectful environment for all
library employees and patrons.
The Chair of the Committee will represent the Libraries on the LSU Academic Affairs Office of
Diversity, Academic Diversity Representatives Committee. Attend quarterly meetings and
facilitate communication between the Libraries and the Office of Diversity regarding diversity
and inclusion issues. The Diversity Committee has an ongoing, active role in performing climate
assessment, contributing to strategic and other planning for the Libraries, and recommending
policies and programs on diversity and inclusion within the Libraries.
In appointing members, a balance should be sought which reflects a broad representation of
the LSU Libraries faculty and staff.
• Members will be appointed by the Dean in consultation with the Diversity Committee
• Committee appointments will be made on the academic calendar
• Committee appointments will be for a minimum of two years (Members are welcome
to remain on the committee for longer if they desire.)
• Unexpired terms will be filled as needed
Procedures for Membership Selection: A call for volunteers will be made each summer. The
committee will review and make recommendations to the Dean to fill vacancies. New members
will join the committee as soon as they are appointed. Members who will be rotating off of the
committee will serve until August 15th to provide some transition and overlap.
Outreach & Collaboration
• In conjunction with appropriate Libraries' staff, plan public programming on diversity
• Create opportunities for staff to learn about diversity-related issues and topics using a
cultural enrichment discussion series. Encourage exploration and tolerance of
individual differences and promote openness to learning from others.
• Offer programs that will address the Libraries’ services to individuals with disabilities.