SPEC Kit 322: Library User Experience · 193
University of Michigan
User Experience (UX) Specialist
• ALA-accredited Masters Degree in Library or Information Science or an equivalent
combination of a relevant advanced degree in Graphic Design, UxD, HCI, or significant
professional experience in a related field.
• Knowledge and experience in areas of user research and usability methods, design, and
• Experience creating concept sketches, flow diagrams, wire frames, and mock-ups.
• Excellent written and oral skills. Ability to work independently and in a team
environment. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
• Experience creating complete interface designs and web graphics.
• Experience designing and/or evaluating Library Systems (e.g., digital libraries, OPACs,
library websites) or other complex, data-rich websites.
• Experience designing and/or evaluating mobile interfaces.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software, diagramming software (e.g., Omnigraffle,
Visio), screen recording software (e.g., Camtasia, Morae, UserVue), assistive technology
• Familiarity with accessibility coding standards, validation tools, and evaluation
• Experience creating and editing web pages using HTML & CSS or web authoring software
• Experience conducting log/web use statistics analysis.
BENEFITS, RANK, & SALARY
Final rank and salary dependent on experience and qualifications; position is anticipated to be filled at the
Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian level. Professional positions receive 24 days of vacation a year;
15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits as well as opportunities for professional
development and travel. TIAA-CREF or Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Send cover letter & resume (as email attachments please) to firstname.lastname@example.org directed to the attention
of Robert Campe; Library Human Resources; 404 Hatcher Graduate Library North; University of
Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205. For further information, call 734 764-2546.
Questions about the job description may be emailed to Suzanne Chapman, User Experience
Department Manager at email@example.com