SPEC Kit 329: Managing Born-Digital Special Collections and Archival Materials · 179
michigan State univerSity
How to Accession Electronic records to the Spartan Archive Storage Vault
How to Accession Electronic Records to the Spartan Archive Storage Vault
1. Receive transfer from unit, including transmittal form and inventory
2. Create Archivists’ Toolkit record
• Assign ‘A’ accession #
• Enter accession date (indicates accession created)
• Link to Resource (MSU unit/record group)
3. Provide accession # to unit
4. Add accession # to transmittal form
5. If transmittal form and inventory are paper, scan as PDFs. If transmittal form and inventory are
digital files, print a copy.
6. File paper version of transmittal form in records management files. Inventory should be stapled
to transmittal form, if available.
7. If necessary, create a folder in the Storage Vault for the record group. The name of the folder for
the record group should be the official UAHC record group number.
For electronic records coming in on hard drives or removable media:
8. Label hard drive or media with accession #. If more than one piece of hardware or media is in
the accession, label each with the accession # plus a sequential number. For example, Axxxxxx-‐-‐-‐
1, Axxxxxx-‐-‐-‐2, etc.
9. Write protect hard drive or media, if possible.
10. Connect hard drive or insert media on electronic records processing workstation.
11. Check for viruses on hard drive or media using the Kaspersky virus scanning utility.
• Connect hard drive or insert removable media as necessary
• Open Kaspersky.
• Select disk to scan.
• Click “Start Scan” button.
• If viruses are present, Kaspersky will identify the infected files and ask to quarantine
them. Agree to quarantine. (Steps in this case TBD.)