158 · Representative Documents: Workflows
univerSity of michigan
Bentley Historical Library Digital Processing Manual
The basic workflow for processing digital records will involve the following steps:
1. UARP/MHC reaches an agreement with a donor/creator regarding the
transfer of digital content to the Bentley Historical Library.
2. Archivists are provided access to digital materials (either remotely or via
removable storage media).
3. A preliminary review of the digital materials will be performed (if it has not
taken place prior to the transfer agreement) to determine if they warrant
additional processing and long-term preservation by the Bentley Historical
Library. Archivists will also confirm the presence of sensitive materials that
will require restrictions under applicable laws and/or BHL policies.
4. Create an accession record in BEAL. If some/all of the digital content will not
be processed for long-term preservation, note these materials in the
5. Digital Curation Services will manage the creation of and access to
appropriate processing directories in the Interim Repository.
6. Content will be migrated to the appropriate processing directory in the
a. Depending on the source/transfer method, archivists will use one of
several tools identified and tested by Digital Curation Services.
b. Processing directory will include a \Metadata\ folder.
c. Create a separations folder (titled: CollectionID_Name) in \bhl-
d. Note the unprocessed location in BEAL and record the capture of
content in the PREMIS preservation event spreadsheet.
7. Following a More Product, Less Process approach, the archivist/student
processor will conduct the following operations:
a. Change filename to the Deposit ID (the collection ID plus a four digit
number, i.e. 87134_0001)
b. Virus scan (Save log file in the \Metadata\ folder and record event in
the PREMIS preservation event spreadsheet.)
c. Backup of content
d. Normalization of folder/file names (Save log file in the \Metadata\
folder and record event in the PREMIS preservation event
e. Scan for personally identifiable information (PII) (Save log file in the
\Metadata\ folder and record event in the PREMIS preservation event