SPEC Kit 325: Digital Preservation · 99
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
IDEALS Digital Preservation Policy
Sarah L. Shreeves IDEALS Last Updated Nov 2009
IDEALS' objectives are to collect, preserve, and maintain access to significant components of the
University's scholarly and research output. IDEALS shall:
• Provide a reliable preservation environment for digital research and scholarship developed at the
University of Illinois.
• Provide reliable and consistent access to all digital research and scholarship entrusted into its
• Build a trusted service for scholars at the University of Illinois.
The IDEALS initiative is responsible for preserving, managing, and providing access to locally developed
and deposited digital research and scholarship. In particular, it is responsible for finished research and
scholarly content and associated supporting documentation and data.
The IDEALS initiative shall adhere to the following operating principles:
• IDEALS strives to comply with the Open Archival Information System (OAIS) Reference Model
• IDEALS strives to comply with certification requirements for a Trusted Digital Repository.
• IDEALS adheres to prevailing community standards for preserving access to digital content
• IDEALS participates in the development and implementation of standards.
• IDEALS commits to an interoperable, scalable digital archive with appropriate storage
management for content.
• IDEALS policies, procedures, and practices are clearly documented and consistent.
• IDEALS maintains hardware, software, and storage media containing archival content in keeping
with prevailing best practices.
• IDEALS establishes procedures to meet archival requirements pertaining to provenance, chain of
custody, authenticity, and integrity.
• IDEALS complies with intellectual property, copyright, and ownership rights for all content.