118 · Representative Documents: Policies, Procedures, Guidelines
University of Utah
Digital Preservation Program: Organizational Policy Framework
- 4 -
point, we will assess the overall timeframe for an operational, sustainable,
comprehensive digital preservation program.
ATTRIBUTES and RESPONSIBILITIES
This framework follows digital preservation standards as defined in OCLC’s Trusted
Digital Repositories: Attributes and Responsibilities. Accordingly, the attributes of a
trusted digital repository are:
• Open Archival Information System (OAIS) compliance
• Administrative responsibility
o Accept responsibility for the long-term maintenance of digital resources
on behalf of its depositors and for the benefit of current and future
• Organizational viability
o Establish an organizational system that supports not only long-term
viability of the repository, but also the digital information for which it
• Financial sustainability
o Demonstrate fiscal responsibility and sustainability.
• Technological and procedural suitability
o Develop policies, practices, and performance that can be audited and
• Systems security
o Ensure the ongoing management, access, and security of materials
deposited within it.
• Procedural accountability
o Dependably carry out its long-term responsibilities to depositors and
users openly and explicitly.
CHALLENGES and INCENTIVES
• Budget limitations. We must always live within our financial means.
Realistically, we will not be able to preserve everything, making our selection
criteria for preservation all the more imperative.
• Keeping up with technological change in terms of hardware, software, new
formats, etc. A key question here deals with emulation vs. migration of
• Creating and following submission standards
• Meeting the education needs of staff involved with (but not explicitly
responsible for) digital preservation.
The Library will strive to:
• Comply with OAIS and other digital preservation standards and practices
• Ensure that content remains readable and understandable
• Participate in the development and adoption of digital preservation community
standards, practice and solutions