University Library Questionnaire and Instructions · 133
o A 9-month part-time appointment has Percent = 9/12, or 0.75.
o An appointment at 30 hours per week has Percent = 30/40, also 0.75.
o An appointment at 30 hours and 9 months has Percent = 0.75 x 0.75 = 0.56.
o Enter Percent with two decimal points.
Code full time employees with dual appointments and/or shared responsibilities at 100% if
these individuals work a full-time schedule. Such individuals should be listed on the salary
survey only once.
• Report salaries for both full-time and part-time professional positions. Salaries for part-time
positions should NOT be converted to their full-time equivalents. Report the actual part-time
salary paid and indicate the percent appointment for that employee in the appropriate column.
• Include salaries for all professional positions, regardless of whether the salaries come from
regular library budget funds or from special funds such as research grants. Please include all
professionals involved in the provision of library services, including contract-supported
• The salary figures should be straight gross salary figures. Do not include fringe benefits.
• Provide explanatory footnotes to the reported figures, when necessary, at the end of Part I.
Footnotes will be included in the published survey, where appropriate.
• After all data have been entered on the CSV file, make a backup copy of the complete file
for your institution’s master file. Your backup should include individual names/ID numbers.
NOTE: The data submitted to ARL should NOT include individual names/ID numbers,
so ARL will NOT be able to supply a copy of your institution’s complete file next year.
• Go to http://arlstatistics.org to fill out Part I and to upload the CSV file for Part II. NOTE: The
Web interface allows you to return and edit your information before it is submitted. If you
want to email the documents to ARL, please note that ARL accepts Part I and Part II of the
salary survey as e-mail attachments if this is your preferred way of submitting the data.
• Please return the questionnaire by August 31, 2013. Be sure to keep a complete copy of your
submission, including the electronic version of the data for your files.
Part I: Institutional Information (Microsoft Word Form)
1. Part I of this survey deals with general information for the current fiscal year, 2013-14.
2. Include the Beginning Professional Salary for Law and Medical libraries if included in the
survey and you have edit rights to their form.