Nonuniversity Library Questionnaire and Instructions · 135
8. Salaries should be reported for both full-time and part-time professional positions. However,
salaries for part-time positions should be converted to their full-time equivalents before
reporting; do not report the actual part-time salary paid.
9. Salaries should normally be reported on a 12-month basis. If an appointment is for 9 or 10
months at the option of the employee, the actual salary paid should be increased to its 12-month
equivalent. However, if appointments of less than 12 months are required by the employer,
report the actual salary paid.
10. The salaries for all professional positions should be included, regardless of whether the
salaries come from regular library budget funds or from special funds such as research grants.
11. The salary figures should be straight gross salary figures. Do not include fringe benefits.
12. Explanatory footnotes to the reported figures may be provided when necessary. Footnotes
will be included in the published survey.
Part II: Data Upload - Individual Data (Microsoft Excel Form)
1. Part II of this survey is an Excel file, where you will indicate the number of filled professional
positions in each salary range for fiscal years 2011-12 and 2012-13.
2. Obtain the Excel file. These instructions assume that you have Microsoft Excel available for
use. If not, or if you have trouble opening the files in Excel, please call the ARL Statistics and
Assessment Program at (202) 296-2296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The template Excel file is available at: http://www.arlstatistics.org/About/Mailings/ss_2012-13.
This is a generic, blank form that can hold your data. The file’s name is “sal12nuXXXX.xls”; open
the file and save it to your own computer by choosing “Save As” under the File menu. When
saving the file, utilize ARL as the prefix, use 12 to designate the year (2012-13), and change the
“xxxx” in its name to your ARL institution code number, e.g., “ARL129975.doc.” You can find
your ARL institution code at:
Submitting the Data for Part I and Part II through the ARL Statistics Website
Go to http://arlstatistics.org to fill out Part I and to upload the Excel file for Part II. NOTE: The
Web interface allows you to return and edit your information before it is submitted. If you
want to email the documents to ARL, please note that ARL accepts Part I and Part II of the
salary survey as e-mail attachments if this is your preferred way of submitting the data.