120 · ARL Annual Salary Survey 2012–2013
Part II: Data Upload - Individual Data (Microsoft Excel Form)
1. Part II of this survey requests information on salary, sex, minority status, rank, years of
experience and working title for all filled positions for fiscal year 2012-13. The survey requests
information for individuals; aggregate data for each institution will be generated by computer.
Vacant positions should be excluded from your report.
2. Data for the Main, Law, and Medical libraries should be reported on separate Excel files.
3. Obtain the Excel file. These instructions assume that you have Microsoft Excel available for use.
If not, or if you have trouble opening the files in Excel, please call the ARL Statistics and
Assessment Program at (202) 296-2296 or email email@example.com.
4. The template Excel file is available at: http://www.arlstatistics.org/About/Mailings/ss_2012-13.
This is a generic, blank file that can hold data for Main, Law, or Medical libraries. The file’s name
is “sal12xxxx.xls”; open the file and save it to your own computer by choosing the “Save As”
option in Excel. When saving the file, utilize ARL as the prefix for Main library reports, use 12 to
designate the year (2012-13), and change “xxxx" to your ARL institution code number, e.g.,
“ARL121150.xls.” Note: use MED for medical libraries, e.g. “MED121150” and LAW to denote law
libraries, e.g., “LAW121150.”
The file contains columns labeled as follows:
Required: Name/ID# (to be deleted before submitting) LibID Page Line Salary Job Sex
OEOcat YrsExp Rank Percent Working Job Title
Optional: Hisp NatAm Asian Black HawPI White
In the LibID column, enter your ARL Library Institution Code. You can find your ARL institution
code at: http://www.arl.org/stats/annualsurveys/surveycoord/instno_inam.shtml
Columns labeled “Page,” “Line,” and "Percent" are already filled for you. The numbers in the
“Page” and “Line” columns will be used to identify these positions in case of data errors; do not
change them. Eleven “pages” of 25 lines each have been provided; if this is not sufficient to list all
positions at your institution, copy and paste lines 1-25 of the last page as needed.
Entering Data for Part II: Data Upload - Individual Data (Microsoft Excel Form)
1. The “Name/ID#” column is for your internal use, to enter and verify information for staff
members by name. ARL does not require that you submit the information in this field to ARL.
Please delete this column before sending the file to ARL. Upon receiving this file, ARL will delete
any data in this column if you have not deleted them already.
2. The “LibID” will hold your institution’s ARL number, for identification purposes. If you do not
know your ARL number, you can find it on the Web under ARL Library Institution Codes. If you
leave this column blank, it will be filled in by ARL staff.