Association of Research Libraries
Research Library Issues 289 2016
our tea, thawed out, and got to a mental state where we could think
somewhat clearly.”
In a telephone call with the dean of libraries, who was out of town, it was
determined that both Strozier and Dirac Libraries should be closed the
next day. Katie and Bridgett sent e-mails to staff members who worked
in those buildings. With Strozier Library sealed, they decided to gather
key library managers at 10:00 a.m. in Dirac Library. They notified these
managers as well.
Katie and Bridgett then drove back to campus to catch the 6:00 a.m. press
conference. Entering the FSUPD’s building with other campus officials,
they were able to slip into the pre-press conference briefing. They were
gratified to receive a warm welcome. Here was an opportunity to get
some answers: How long would Strozier be closed? What kind of cleanup
would be needed? Did the police know anything about the state of the
library interior? Were they aware that library staff would need to sort
out library property—like loaner laptops—from student property when
we were allowed back in? Katie and Bridgett took notes and made lists of
additional tasks to be done.
In the press conference, new information was shared and, bit by bit, a
clearer picture of the night’s events was forming.
After the press conference was over, Katie and Bridgett walked to
Strozier Library to intercept any staff members who hadn’t heard about
the library’s closing and might be arriving for work. Katie and Bridgett
were able to take a brief tour of the building to assess its condition. The
only obvious signs of violence were the shattered window in the lobby
and the crime-scene tape, but the rest of the building was chaotic with
backpacks and other paraphernalia strewn everywhere. The furniture
was in wild disarray.
Meanwhile, employees who had endured five hours of questioning at the
Tallahassee police station were returning to the library. “Emotions were
Previous Page Next Page