SPEC Kit 304: Social Software in Libraries (July 2008)
This SPEC Kit explores how many libraries are using social software and for what purposes, how those activities are organized and managed, and the benefits and challenges of using social software, among other questions.
For this study social software was broadly defined as software that enables people to connect with one another online. The survey asked about ten types of applications: 1) social networking sites; 2) media sharing sites; 3) social bookmarking or tagging sites; 4) Wikis; 5) blogs; 6) sites that use RSS (Really Simple Syndication) to syndicate and broadcast content; 7) chat or instant messaging (IM) services; 8) VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) services; 9) virtual worlds; and 10) widgets.
This survey was distributed to the 123 ARL member libraries in February 2008. Sixty-four libraries completed the survey by the March 14 deadline for a response rate of 52%. All but three of the responding libraries report that their library staff uses social software (95%) and one of those three plans to begin using social software in the future.
This SPEC Kit includes documentation from respondents of examples of Web sites that show how each of the ten types of social software is used.
Table of Contents
SPEC Kit 304: Social Software in Libraries (July 2008)
- Social Software in Libraries frontmatter 3 free
- Survey Results 9
- Representative Documents 113
- Social Networking 115
- University at Buffalo, SUNY: Facebook: University at Buffalo Libraries 116
- University of California, Irvine: Facebook: UCI Libraries 117
- University of Georgia: Facebook: UGA Student Learning Center 118
- Indiana University Bloomington: Facebook: Herman B. Wells 119
- University of Manitoba: Virtual Learning Commons 120
- University of Michigan: Facebook: Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library 121
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale: MySpace: Morris Library 122
- Media Sharing 123
- University at Albany, SUNY: Flickr: Dewey Graduate Library photostream 124
- University of California, San Diego: YouTube: UCSD Science & Engineering Library 125
- University of Hawai’i: University of Hawai’i on iTunesU 126
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: YouTube: UIUC Undergraduate Library Commercial 127
- Library of Congress: Flickr: The Library of Congress’ photostream 128
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT TechTV 129
- National Library of Medicine: YouTube: Preguntas a su pediatra 130
- Social Bookmarking/Tagging 131
- Duke University: Connotea: Bookmarks by group DukeUniversityLibraries 132
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Welcome to LibGuides@UIUC Library 133
- University of Kentucky: del.icio.us / connectedlibrary / 134
- University of Michigan: MTagger: All Tags 135
- Pennsylvania State University: LibraryThing: socsclib > library 136
- Wikis 137
- Boston University: Capstone 2007 – Mugar Memorial Library 138
- Case Western Reserve University: Kelvin Smith Library. Subject Guides 139
- University of Connecticut: Welcome to the University of Connecticut Libraries’ Staff Wiki 140
- McGill University: The McGill Library Global Health Resource Guide 141
- University of Massachusetts Amherst: Focusing on Undergraduates: Library Collections, Services... 142
- University of Minnesota: Libraries Staff Wiki Home Page 143
- Syracuse University: Welcome to RefWorks – Syracuse University 144
- Blogs 145
- Johns Hopkins University: The Sheridan Libraries Blog 146
- Michigan State University: MSU Library News 147
- North Carolina State University: NCSU Libraries News 148
- Rice University: Government Information News from Fondren Library 149
- Smithsonian Institution: Smithsonian Libraries: Connecting. Ideas. Information. You. 150
- Temple University: Temple University Library News 151
- University of Washington: What’s New? History Happenings at the UW Library 152
- York University: planet yul 153
- RSS 155
- University of British Columbia: New Materials at UBC Library 156
- Case Western Reserve University: Kelvin Smith Library. RSS Feeds 157
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: uiucwebtech. RSS 158
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln: UNL Libraries. RSS 159
- University of Oklahoma: University Libraries RSS Feeds 160
- Chat/Instant Messaging 161
- Virtual Worlds 167
- Library Implemented Widgets 175
- Colorado State University: Business Blog with Meebo Me widget 176
- Cornell University: Library Guides with QuestionPoint Ask a Librarian Qwidget 177
- Georgetown University: Instant Message with GU Library Staff with Meebo Me Widget 178
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: uiucwebtech. Widgets 179
- University of Kansas: KU Libraries. ask a librarian with AOL Wimzi Widget 180
- Library Developed Widgets 181
- Social Software Committees 187
- Selected Resources 191
Buy access to SPEC Kit 304
A PDF of the frontmatter, table of contents, and executive summary of this SPEC Kit is available for download at no charge. You may also buy perpetual online access to the complete contents of this SPEC Kit.
Online access offers the following features:
- Search and read the full text online.
- Fast, page-at-a-time viewing that works in any web browser, and in web enabled handhelds like the iPhone.
- Exact page reproduction.
- Full text search with relevancy ranking to help you quickly locate passages of interest.
- All pages are easily bookmarkable for future reference.
- Download a PDF of a particular section or the complete publication for offline use on your computer, tablet, or other digital reader.
To purchase password access to this publication with a credit card, please log in to your existing account or register for a new account below.
To purchase IP access to this SPEC Kit, please contact:
ARL Publications Distribution Center
PO Box 531
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0531
Please Note: Once the online publication has been accessed, your purchase can not be refunded. For questions, please contact the ARL Publications Distribution Center.
Price: $ 50.00
- Buy access to SPEC Kit 304 Buy access to SPEC Kit 304
Association of Research Libraries
21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington DC 20036
Questions or comments? Please contact email@example.com.