138 · Representative Documents: 2012 Position Descriptions
University of Florida
Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Research Services
The Foundation for The Gator Nation
An Equal Opportunity Institution
George A. Smathers Libraries 422 Library West
Library Financial and Human Resources PO Box 117024
Human Resources Gainesville, FL 32611-7024
POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
POSITION: Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Research Services
RANK: Associate Dean and Associate University Librarian
or Associate Dean and University Librarian
REPORTS TO: Dean of University Libraries
The Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Research Services is responsible for the
administration of the scholarly resources and research services of the Smathers Libraries,
exclusive of the Health Science Center Libraries which reports directly to the Dean of University
Libraries. The five branch library Chairs report directly to this position. In all, the Associate
Dean for Scholarly Resources and Research Services coordinates the efforts of 116 staff and
faculty with responsibilities for approximately $7,800,000 in appropriated funds for library
materials. For descriptions of the units and organizational structure of the Smathers Libraries,
please refer to the Libraries’ organizational chart at http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/backpage.html. An
organizational chart reflecting the Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Research
Services’ responsibilities can be found at:
• Exercises direct administrative leadership for Smathers Libraries in the Humanities and
Social Sciences, Sciences, Special and Area Studies, Government Documents, and
departmental libraries for Architecture and Fine Arts, Education, Journalism, and Music,
including all of their public service and collections responsibilities.
• Coordinates for the above units, inclusive of materials, human resources and operations, a
total appropriated budget of just over $13,900,000.
• Provides leadership in strategic planning, administration and resource allocation.
• Maintains ongoing engagement with faculty and staff to define needs, set priorities, and
develop policies and establish goals, objectives and budgets.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the administration of academic research collections.
• Ensures effective and responsive collections in support of the University’s teaching and
• Organizes and maintains a program of regular contact with appropriate academic faculty,
staff and benefactors.
• Chairs the Smathers Libraries Advisory Group for Research Services and Scholarly
Resources (see http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/committees/agrssr/).